DEXA Body Composition Scan
Please note: Body composition scans are not covered by Alberta Health Services and you will be required to pay prior to your exam.
DEXA Body Compositions from only $65 per scan!
Regular price: $75 per scan including full-colour report
Special price: $65 available Wednesday evenings, all-day Fridays and all-day Saturdays
Please note: as of this year, all DEXA Body Composition Scans will require a referral letter from your family physician – please call us if you have any questions about this requirement
What BMI doesn’t tell you about your health
Just 20 minutes for a detailed scan!
You spend every day sculpting your physique. Why not spend just 20 minutes to receive a custom, full-color printed report of your body composition. This comprehensive report includes your body mass index (BMI), BMI classification, percentage of body fat, android/gynoid ratio, bone mineral density, resting metabolic rate and more.
Glenwood Radiology uses a Dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry (DXA) scan to assess body composition in a convenient and non-invasive way. Using a DXA scan allows you to take the guesswork out of establishing your baseline health and fitness level to allow you to optimize your performance. Regular scans will allow you to measure progress against that baseline. Same and next day appointments are available.
For more information or to book your body composition scan, contact us today!
What is it and how can this scan help me?
- Glenwood Radiology offers body composition measurements using dual, low energy, X-ray absorptiometry (DEXA).
- A DEXA scan is a medical grade test and is considered to be the gold standard in body composition; it provides over 99% accuracy.
- Once the scan is complete, you will be given a report with precise measurements of your body composition, including your body mass index (BMI), lean tissue mass, fat tissue mass and fractional contribution of fat.
- The test also provides regional results, to help determine where focus is needed.
- A body composition measurement is useful to determine overall fitness level.
- For people considering a weight loss or fitness program, this measurement can be an important baseline to measure progress and tailor the program to their specific needs.
When can I book?
- We offer same-day or next-day appointments at our clinic in Glenwood Health Centre.
- Simply call (780) 705-9982 and ask to book a total body composition scan. We look forward to welcoming you!
What can you expect?
- A body composition measurement takes about 20-30 minutes to complete from the time you arrive at our clinic.
- Once that is complete, you will be provided with a gown to change into, and then led to the exam room by one of our technologists.
- You will be asked to lie on the scanner bed on your back. The technologist will position you correctly on the bed and the scan will begin.
- A full body scan takes approximately 10 minutes, where you will be required to lie still.
- While you are getting dressed, the report will be printed. After you are dressed, the technologist will spend a few minutes with you, reviewing and explaining the results.
- You will be provided with a report to take home with you.
How to prepare for a Body Composition Scan
- Please note: as of this year, all DEXA Body Composition Scans will require a referral letter from your family physician
- Prior to your procedure, please refrain from eating a heavy meal or vigorous exercise.
- Body composition scans have a maximum height of 6’5″ and a weight limit of 325lbs
- Scans are not covered by Alberta Health Services. The cost of the scan is required prior to your exam.
NOTE: Please be sure to arrive at least 15 minutes before your appointment to provide enough time to change and prepare for your examination.
© Copyright Glenwood Radiology. All rights reserved.