We Accept All Requisitions from Any Clinic
Purpose of an X-ray
Common reasons your physician will request an X-ray include the following:
- To diagnose a bone fracture and/or joint dislocation
- To ensure proper alignment and stabilization of bones following treatment for a fracture or dislocation
- To look for infection, injury, arthritis, abnormal bone growths or changes in bone tissue due to metabolic abnormalities
- To assist in the detection and diagnosis of bone cancer
- To aid in the diagnosis of pneumonia, bronchitis, heart failure and other heart problems, emphysema or lung cancer
What to expect during your exam
- After checking in, you will be shown to a change room and asked to remove some or all of your clothing and put on a gown
- You may also be asked to remove jewelry, dentures, eye glasses and any metal objects or clothing that might interfere with x-ray imaging
- During the exam, depending on the body part being examined, we may image you while you are sitting, standing or lying down and you will be required to keep still. Lead aprons may be placed in areas not being examined to limit exposure
- Once the exam is complete you are free to leave and continue normally with your day. Your results will be sent directly from our radiologist to your referring physician
- To our female patients: you should always inform the technologist if there is any possibility that you are pregnant. If an x-ray is necessary, precautions will be taken to minimize radiation exposure to the baby
- Walk-in exams can generally be accommodated and no appointment is necessary, although we can’t guarantee we can see you if you arrive less than 30 minutes before closing time
How to Prepare for Your Exam
- Please be sure to arrive at least 15 minutes before your appointment to allow enough time to change and prepare for your examination.
- It is recommended that you dress comfortably.
- Please avoid clothing that has zippers, clasps, snaps, buttons and/or beading near the area to be imaged.
- Any metal or jewelry near the area to be imaged must be removed prior to the X-Ray.
- Please note: if there is a chance that you are pregnant, the exam may not be possible.
How to Book Your Exam
- Exams require a requisition form from your family physician.
- You can book by phone by calling us during our regular business hours.
West Edmonton: 780-705-9982
Spruce Grove: 587-461-2221
- You can also conveniently book online.
Find a Family Physician in your area
- If you do not have a family physician or need assistance with a requisition form or referral letter, here are several medical clinics that are accepting patients in your area: