We Accept All Requisitions from Any Clinic
Purpose of a Pediatric Echocardiogram
This test may be performed to assess a variety of heart conditions from murmurs to heart muscle damage to infections in the heart. Echocardiography is one of the most widely used diagnostic tests for the heart and routinely used in the management, diagnosis and follow-up of patients with known or suspected heart disease.
An echocardiogram is a safe and painless ultrasound test that uses sound waves to view the heart. The test does not involve radiation and is similar to a sonogram used during pregnancy. Ultrasound images of the child’s heart (newborn to 18 years old) are viewed by a pediatric cardiologist on a monitor while the procedure is being performed.
What to Expect During Your Exam
- You will be greeted by friendly staff who are experienced in the care of children
- Enjoy a child friendly room with a calming atmosphere
- Children can watch movies during the procedure to provide distraction
- Parents are welcome to stay with their children during the procedure
How to Prepare for Your Exam
- Please be sure to arrive at least 15 minutes before your appointment to allow enough time to change and prepare for your examination.
How to Book Your Exam
- Exams require a requisition form from your family physician.
- Children’s Heart Clinic is available only at our West Edmonton location.
- You can book by phone by calling us during our regular business hours.
West Edmonton: 780-705-9982
- You can also conveniently book online.
Find a Family Physician in your area
- If you do not have a family physician or need assistance with a requisition form or referral letter, here are several medical clinics that are accepting patients in your area:
Your Consulting Pediatric Cardiologist
Dr. Ian Adatia MBChB, FRCP(C) is an internationally recognized and fully certified Pediatric Cardiologist with over 27 years of clinical experience caring for newborns, children and teens with congenital and acquired heart disease. He has a special interest and expertise in neonatal heart disease, pulmonary vascular disorders and non-invasive diagnosis of heart and lung vascular disorders as well as heart disease in children with Down Syndrome.
Dr. Adatia trained in pediatric cardiology at The Hospital for Sick Children in Toronto with further specialist training completed at Boston Children’s Hospital in the US as well as Great Ormond Street Hospital for Sick Children in London, England and is a Royal College of Physicians & Surgeons of Canada certified Pediatric Cardiologist. Dr. Adatia previously served in full-time pediatric cardiology appointments around the world including Freiburg Children’s Hospital in Germany, The Hospital for Sick Children in Toronto, Boston Children’s Hospital, University of California Children’s Hospital in San Francisco and The Stollery Children’s Hospital here in Edmonton.
Dr. Adatia has also shared his knowledge and experience as a Professor of Pediatrics at The Stollery Children’s Hospital as well as the University of Alberta. By authoring over 250 publications (abstracts, book chapters and peer reviewed journal articles) covering all aspects of pediatric cardiology and pulmonary vascular disorders, his knowledge continues to help others in the field.
Today, Dr. Adatia brings his vast experience and knowledge to Glenwood Radiology and is accepting referrals for pediatric cardiology consultations with pediatric echocardiography.